Thursday, July 12, 2007

Questions Arise

Today could have been better on a number of different levels but it also could've been worse. We had gone into today expecting to essentially get a rubber stamp at Children's Hospital in Philly that Max was doing well with his current chemo treatments and find out when Max would get schedule for surgery to put an access port in to make setting up his IVs a little easier. We had good reason to believe this as we had learned that the MRI Max had on Monday showed him to be stable. Unfortunately, that was only part of the picture. We learned during our visit with his neuro-ophthalmologist that Max appears to have had a fairly significant loss of his peripheral vision.

The apparent problem with the MRI is that it is not as detailed as one might think. Don't get me wrong, it is a truly amazing work of science and medicine. The alternatives of CT Scans or exploratory surgery for Max, especially given that he has had more than a dozen MRIs now, aren't even imaginable. Even so, the MRI gives a somewhat broad picture of what is going on in Max's head because there even millimeters matter and some of those millimeters are incredibly significant. While it is possible to see the swelling of Max's optic nerves as they come from the back of his eye to where they meet in the optic chiasm, it really isn't possibly to differentiate tumor and nerve in the chiasm to any great degree.

As I understand it now, after speaking to both the neuro-ophthalmologist and the neuro-oncologist, the tumor has further affect the optic nerves, most likely in the chiasm, which is causing the loss of peripheral vision. The chiasm is thought to be the source because both eyes showed the same dramatic loss and that is where the left and right eye's nerves cross on their way to the brain. What remain unknown are a few things though.

First, we don't for certain that Max has an issue. As it stands now the plan is to continue his current treatment for two more weeks and then visit CHOP again on Monday, July 30th to have his vision evaluated again. There is the possibility that today Max was just behaving oddly but I don't believe that scenario has good odds for two reasons: 1) He has always been very cooperative for his eye Dr. even when he has been uncooperative for the Dr. that does the initial evaluation and 2) His Dr. stopped me on the way out and said, "Dad, do you understand?" I replied with a simple "Yes" because both Max and Gwendolyn were with me but he followed up with "I'm very concerned." While I don't know him well I've seen him enough times with Max to get that this is no small change. Ugh.

Second, we don't know when this became a problem for Max. [This part wasn't discussed with the oncologist but will be July 30 - Tracy and I came up with this reasoning on our own while talking this evening.] Our theory is that the nerves could've been progressively getting worse but not shown detectable signs until after his exam in May. Extend the thinking a little bit and it seems reasonable to think that the chemo may have actually stopped a problem and that time might show stabilization or even improvement.

The reason that we are hoping the current treatment is effective is because the next choices all have side effects that we'd rather avoid, the worst being a less than 10% chance of developing secondary leukemia. That one frightens us quite a lot so will be trying to learn more in the next two weeks so that we can be well educated when discussing the next course of action on July 30.

In the meantime, a prayer for Max along the lines of "… hope Max was just having a bad day and the eye exam July 30 shows his peripheral vision is just fine …" might go a long way. Unfortunately, if that is what happens, Max will get the beating of his life for scaring us like that ;)

Quickly, before closing, the other 'level's that could've been better:
1) not getting up at 5:00 am after not being able to get to sleep until 1
2) not finding CHOP to be in the middle of a computer upgrade that isn't going as well as it should (I feel bad for them though as I have lived their pain)
3) Max eating his breakfast in the car, as I had thought he was, instead of not eating or drinking anything at all and then learning about that problem part way into a 3 hour session that could not be interrupted for food. (the instructions on eating the car had been very clear)

On the bright side, Gwendolyn did join Max and I today to see what Philadelphia is all about. It must seem to her that it is primarily about waiting. She did pick up that there is a problem and we've talked about it with her. She remains concerned but agreed there wasn't much to do until July 30.

No comments: