Today, unexpectedly, we had to take Max to the hospital at Lehigh Valley because of some abdominal pain. It started Sunday night with him complaining on and off that his tummy hurt and then complaining enough at dinner so that he didn't eat. Then, though, he said he did feel well enough to eat some cherry cobbler for dessert so we didn't believe the pain too much. This morning, however, he didn't eat breakfast and he ALWAYS eats breakfast so we figured something more might be wrong. I took Gwendolyn to school and then headed out to Lehigh Valley with Max while Tracy called them from home to see where we had to go. It turned out that they could take him at the normal clinic office so we went there and saw most of the normal crew. Max complained of a lot of pain on the way in and by the time we got there he was running a fever of 102.1. They got him an IV and into a dark and quiet room while they waited for blood work to come back.
His counts are mostly normal with his ANC count having jumped back up to 2,000 but that is probably because of his fever. The rest of the blood work that they ran came back normal but he also had an ultra sound of his abdomen to see if anything visible was wrong. We're waiting for the reading on that now and assuming it is also normal he'll get the shots he was supposed to get tomorrow but they're going to wait until Wednesday for chemo because they want him 48 hours without a fever before giving another dose.
We got the radiologist reading and everything in his abdomen was fine. He got his shots and then we headed home. When we left he still had a fever of about 102 but they had ruled out pretty much everything except for abdominal pain being caused by the chemo or by stress. It may be the Max suffers more internal stress than we thought and it is finally catching up with him or it could be that the chemo took a while to affect his stomach and that caught up with. Either cause should be cured by the Zantac. The fever could be related or could be viral but it is not the result of an infection.
Right before dinner we gave Max his Bactrim, some Tylenol and the first dose of Zantac. He promptly threw them all up in a yellowish mess laced with pink. He didn't seem too trouble by that but obviously hadn't gotten any medicine so we waited half an hour then gave him the Zantac. That stayed down and half an hour later he got some Tylenol. His fever appears to have broken and he said that his pain was gone before he went to bed. We didn't bother with the Bactrim because the antibiotic that he got at the hospital will cover him for 24 hours against nearly everything anyway. Tomorrow morning he'll get Zantac and Bactrim and, if he feels well enough, will go to school. Wednesday Tracy will take him back to Lehigh Valley for chemo; it kind of works because that is only a half day of school.